Cozy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Celery, carrots, mushrooms, and rosemary come together to add the perfect amount of flavor to the already wonderful wild rice in this cozy soup. The shredded chicken adds just the right amount of texture and rosemary completes the flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (see Note)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, and onion and cook until the vegetables begin to soften and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bay leaf, and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Add the broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender but still chewy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the half-and-half. Stir in the chicken and let sit until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, ladle into bowls, and serve, garnished with sprigs of rosemary.