Low Cal Veggie Cabbage Soup
Most people turn up their nose at cabbage, but it’s time to use this vitamin K, C, and B6 rich vegetable in your soups. Full of other veggies full of wonderful nutrients as well, this soup is filling and low in calories. A win-win!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant and softened.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, basil, dill, oregano, red pepper ﬂakes, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley. Add salt and black pepper if needed. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with additional fresh dill. Ladle into bowls and serve.