Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken and Broccoli
Cooking slow and low makes this chicken dinner flavorful and is an easy way to make a full meal. Brown sugar under the skin of each chicken thigh and fresh squeezed orange juice adds the perfect amount of sweet and tang to this satisfying dish.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Zest half the orange and then squeeze the juice from that half. Place the zest and juice in a small bowl and cut the remaining orange half into wedges to be used for garnish; set aside.
- Add the maple syrup, mustard, garlic, and salt to the bowl with the orange zest and juice stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and use your fingers to separate the skin from the meat. Slide 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar under the skin of each thigh and spread it evenly.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, skin-side down, and cook for 4 minutes, until golden. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker and arrange the thighs skin-side up.
- Drain off all but 1 teaspoon of the oil from the skillet and return it to medium-high heat. Pour in the wine and stir to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the maple syrup mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce begins to thicken and boil. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on High for 3 hours.
- Separate the broccoli florets and lay them over the chicken in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on High until the broccoli is steamed to crisp-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with the reserved orange wedged.
Keywords: broccoli, chicken, orange