30 Minute Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Ditch the canned tomato soup of your childhood and make this classic soup from scratch. With added flavors fresh basil and oregano, you’ll never go back to store-bought soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus additional whole leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream, basil, and oregano.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot until there are no large pieces of tomato left. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with basil leaves.