Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Chowder
Cauliflower might not be a vegetable you regularly reach for, but this soup will change your mind! Roasting the cauliflower, garlic and shallot first makes this soup extra flavorful.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, top cut off
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (15-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Saltine crackers, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the cauliﬂower, garlic, and shallot on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss until well coated. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cauliﬂower is lightly browned and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic from the papery skins and ﬁnely chop. Add the garlic, roasted cauliﬂower, roasted shallot, bay leaf, and thyme to the pot. Sprinkle the ﬂour over everything and stir. Cook until all the ﬂour has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the milk and stir until the chowder is creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and serve warm, topped with shredded cheese, if desired, and crackers.