Pumpkin Spice French Toast Stick Casserole
Thick, challah-bread is cut into strips and made into an easy casserole that captures the perfect pumpkin spice flavors of fall. An egg and pumpkin mixture is tossed with the sticks and topped with a streusel topping and melted maple butter to serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- French Toast
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 large loaf brioche or challah bread, sliced into 2-inch sticks
- Streusel Topping
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple Butter
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- For the French toast: Combine the cream, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the pumpkin puree until smooth. Place the bread sticks in the baking dish, add the pumpkin mixture, and gently toss to coat.
- For the streusel topping: Gently combine the brown sugar, pecans, butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the casserole and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until set (if the streusel starts to brown, cover with foil to ﬁnish baking).
- For the maple butter: While the casserole bakes, combine the melted butter with maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Scoop the French toast into serving bowls and serve drizzled with maple butter.