Make-Ahead Flax Cookies
Who said cookies aren’t for breakfast? When they are made with protein and fiber, cookies become the perfect way to start your day. Make a whole batch at the beginning of the week and you’ll know that you’ll start each day on the right foot.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for topping
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup blue agave nectar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor several times to chop; continue processing until the walnuts are ground into ﬂour; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the oats, whole wheat ﬂour, ﬂax meal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
- Combine the peanut butter, canola oil, agave nectar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla in the food processor and process for a few seconds to blend the ingredients well; transfer the peanut butter mixture to a large bowl and fold in the dried cherries and chocolate chips. Mix the walnut-oatmeal mixture into the peanut butter mixture.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1½-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and ﬂatten the cookies with a spatula. Cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheets and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.