Best Butternut Squash Soup
The trick to capturing the rich flavor of butternut squash is to sauté it first! This soup is ultra cozy and full of other fall flavors like garlic, carrots, and onion.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, plus extra as needed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, plus extra as needed
- Fresh sage, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the squash, onion, carrot, and garlic. Season with salt and sauté until lightly browned and the squash is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the half-and-half. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup carefully. Add more half-and-half or vegetable broth if you desire a thinner soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with fresh sage, if desired.