Sweet Potato and Hot Italian Sausage Casserole
While you wait for the traditional brown sugar sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows at Thanksgiving, try this hearty casserole instead. The sweetness of the potatoes perfectly balances the spicy sausage for a side that will have you heading back for seconds.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 6 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large cubes and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the salt, and the pepper. Transfer to the baking dish and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon until cooked.
- Add the sausage to the sweet potatoes and top with the Parmesan and pepper ﬂakes, if using. Bake for another 15 minutes. Serve.