This is a traditional recipe and for good reason: It’s the perfect way to use the cherries from your harvest and it’s a crowd-pleaser as a dessert. Try it topped with vanilla ice cream.Print
This is a traditional recipe and for good reason: It’s the perfect way to use the cherries from your harvest and it’s a crowd-pleaser as a dessert. Try it topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooling Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Bakery
- Dough for a 9-inch double crust pie
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bottom crust in pie pan. Set top crust aside, covered.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries, and extracts. Let stand 15 minutes. Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges, and cut vents in top. Place pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet in case of drips.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Let cool for several hours before slicing.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so classic and delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.