When it comes to cooking and baking, you have some options. There are a lot of ways to cook any one particular item, and almost any recipe has shortcuts or tricks that speed things up. Alternatively, you can really take your time and go the more hands-on route, if you like. This cherry-almond coffee cake is an excellent example.
In the original recipe below, pre-made cherry pie filling is used to make the recipe both quicker and easier. Depending on the price and availability of cherries, it may also be a less expensive option. They can be a bit expensive and hard to find if they’re out of season.
If you prefer, you can opt for homemade cherry pie filling. It’s well worth the effort if you can get fresh cherries. It does require more time and a few more steps, but it’s not difficult. You can check out one recipe here that’s as simple as mixing your ingredients together and letting them sit for about 15 minutes.
In either case, this is a tasty treat either for breakfast or an afternoon snack with a cup of Earl Grey tea. Or coffee. It is called “coffee cake,” after all. Don’t skip the almonds, though. The addition of almonds adds a light, buttery touch that keeps this dish cozy.
Incidentally, if you’re interested in more recipes that highlight cherries, or if you want to grow your own cherry tree (Did you know you can grow them in containers?), be sure to take a look at All Things Cherry, the Sweet and Sour: The Complete Guide to Growing, Harvesting, Cooking and Eating Delicious Cherries. The savory cherry chutney recipe is a can’t miss.Print
Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake
This cherry-almond coffee cake is simple and tasty. Plus you can opt for either homemade cherry filling or pre-made, to suit your style.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is crumbly. Transfer 1/2 cup of the dry mixture to a small bowl, add the almonds, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and almond extract together. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Spread the cherry pie filling over the top. Sprinkle the reserved almond mixture over the pie filling.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is set. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
What’s your preference? Do you like the quick version with pre-made cherry pie filling or would you rather make your own?