Whether you’re having guests over or bringing an hors d’oeuvre or snack to a gathering, Spicy Sweet Potato Chips and Cilantro Dip is a welcome twist on staples like salsa or guac and tortilla chips. The spicy sweetness of the chips complements the tangy, cool creaminess of the dip in ways that make your tongue do a happy dance.
What makes this recipe easy is that you bake the chips instead of frying them. No hot oil, no fry basket, no greasy mess. Just toss the sliced potato with a little oil and spices and bake. While they bake, you mix the dip ingredients. And—you’re done.
But you’re not done. Because as good as this cilantro dip tastes with the spicy chips, that is not the full extent of its powers. Yes, ‘dip’ makes you think ‘chip,’ but there are so many other possibilities. Here are just a few:
- Top a potato with cilantro dip instead of butter or sour cream.
- Serve with fresh garden vegetable crudité.
- Serve as a side sauce for chicken or beef, like tzatziki.
- Add it to your taco buffet.
- Give grilled fish a tangy counterpoint.
- Spread on toasted baguette slices and top with salsa.
- Add it to burrito bowls or taco salad along with guacamole.
- Serve as a condiment with pulled pork or grilled ham sandwiches.
Try changing up your choice of herbs or spices (hello, curry!) for a distinctly different flavor. Consider substituting lime for lemon. Let us know your favorite flavor combinations!Print
Spicy Sweet Potato Chips and Cilantro Dip
This cool, tangy dip complements the sweet and spicy chips perfectly for a tasty party snack. You bake the chips instead of frying, making this a recipe as easy as it is delicious. If you have leftover dip, use it as a topping for baked potatoes or tacos, or as a condiment for grilled meat, fish, or chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Potato Chips
- 2 to 3 large sweet potatoes (1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix oil and seasonings; drizzle over potatoes and toss to coat.
- Arrange half the sweet potatoes in a single layer in two ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Repeat with remaining sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, beat dip ingredients until blended. Serve with chips.
Have you made this recipe? It’s so easy to make, and it has so much potential! Please tell us how you used it.