Cilantro and lime go together like salt and pepper, like peanut butter and jelly, like—well, you get the idea. Whenever you see cilantro in a recipe, lime is usually not far behind. It makes sense: cilantro already has a slightly tangy lemon-lime flavor, lime juice only enhances it, and vice versa.
Cilantro Lime Rice makes the most of both flavors, and you can serve it with just about anything—stir-fried vegetables, grilled seafood, tacos, as a base for burrito bowls, and more. Plus, this recipe is so simple to make, you’ll want to have it nearly every day.
We like jasmine or basmati rice for this dish, but you can use just about any rice, including short grain and brown. Jasmine and basmati go well with Mexican and Indian dishes and bring extra fragrance and authenticity, but it’s your preference. Just keep in mind you will need to adjust the water-to-rice ratio according to the type of rice you use. Also, we give stovetop cooking directions, but you can also use a rice cooker.
The red pepper flakes and jalapeno give this rice dish an extra kick, and the red pepper contributes to the colorful presentation. But both are optional, or you can add a little more, to taste.
Leftovers—if you have any—will keep for a couple of days when refrigerated in an airtight container. Heat and serve with your choice of protein—a bowl with black beans, avocado, vegetables, and salsa is always a good idea.Print
Cilantro Lime Rice
This popular side dish is so quick and easy to make, and it goes with just about anything, from grilled veggies and seafood to tacos and burrito bowls. The fragrant cilantro and lime are a marriage made in flavor heaven, enhancing each other. This recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. Just add a protein, and you have a meal.
- Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 1 cup long-grain jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or 1/4 diced jalapeño, optional
- Combine the rice, water, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes (or check the time listed on the package of your rice).
- Uncover, fluff with a fork, then add the garlic, scallions, and lime zest and stir to combine.
- Let cool for 1 minute then add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, lime juice, cilantro, and red pepper flakes or jalapeño, if using. Stir to combine and season to taste.
Note: You can use any type of rice, just be sure to adjust water-to-rice ratio and follow directions on package.
Have you tried this easy cilantro side dish? What’s your favorite way to make it? Please tell us how it turned out for you.