No-Bake Chocolate Pie with Strawberries
March 14th is “Pi-Day” so don’t miss out on an easy excuse to make a pie! And, with this recipe, you don’t even have to bake it so there’s no reason to miss the fun. Fresh strawberries with chocolate is a winning combination for sure.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie; serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed, and halved
- 1 store-bought (or homemade) chocolate cookie pie crust
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Place the strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, ginger, nutmeg, and salt over medium heat.
- Whisk in the egg yolks to create a thick paste. Gradually whisk in the half-and-half until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and whisk until combined. Add the rum and vanilla extracts. Cool the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Pour the ﬁlling over the strawberries and up to the top of the crust. Chill the pie for 2 hours or until set.
- Garnish with additional strawberries, if desired.