Slow Cooker Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Not only upside down, this cake is made in a slow cooker! Classic flavors are welcome this spring and this Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a fan-favorite.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 cup packed light brown shugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 10 maraschino cherries without stems, drained, juice reserved
- 1 (15.25-ounce_ box yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs as called for on the cake mix box
- Lightly spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and melted butter. Spread evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly over the sugar mixture. Arrange the pineapple slices on top. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring=
- Add enough of the reserved cherry juice to the reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup total. Make the cake batter as directed on the box, substituting the pineapple-cherry juice mixture for the water. Pour the batter evenly over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Uncover the cake and transfer the slow cooker insert to a cooling rack. Let cool for 15 minutes. Avoid waiting and longer, as the sugar will set and make the cake difficult to remove from the slow cooker. Run a sharp knife along the edges of the cake to loosen it from the slow cooker.
- Place a heatproof serving plate upside down over the top of the slow cooker insert; carefully turn the plate and slow cooker insert over together. The cake will fall onto the plate. If any pineapple slices or cherries stick to the insert, gently remove them and return them to the cake.
- Serve warm.