Mini Strawberry Shortcakes
Fresh strawberries are on their way and a fun way to use them in your baking is to make these mini shortcakes. Perfect to enjoy but not overindulge, these little desserts are great.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, cold
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed 10 x 14 1/2-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the strawberries with 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and let sit.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the cream and egg. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Add the butter cubes to the flour mixture and, using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in until you have coarse crumbs. Add the cream mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and pat out about 1 inch thick. Fold the dough into thirds. Pat out again to 1 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits. Place them on the baking sheet and sprinkle coarse sugar over the tops.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a chilled bowl and whisk attachment, whip the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla on low speed for a few minutes, then increase the speed to high and whip until soft, medium peaks form.
- Split the biscuits and place the bottoms on dessert plates. Top with whipped cream and strawberries. Set the biscuit tops in place and add more whipped cream and strawberries as desired. Serve.