Make-Ahead Roasted Root Veggie Casserole
Pick up some fresh root vegetables from your local farmers market to make this casserole. Cut and peel your veggies and prep everything ahead of time and cook whenever you are ready.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 celery root, peeled
- 3 parsnips, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the celery root, parsnips, sweet potato, russet potatoes, and red onion into a uniform, large dice and place in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper and toss to coat. Arrange the vegetables on the baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 45 minutes, turning halfway through the baking time. Remove the vegetables and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the vegetables roast, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the cream and bay leaves and bring to a low simmer, then remove from the heat and allow the ﬂavors to steep, about 10 minutes.
- Layer half of the vegetables into the baking dish. Top with half of the cheddar cheese and then add the remaining vegetables in an even layer on top. Remove the bay leaves from the steeped cream and pour the mixture over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar and the Parmesan cheese over the casserole and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve.