I used to feel very differently about broccoli than I do today. It always seemed bitter and mushy and not in the least bit enjoyable. I would have put money on the fact that adding broccoli was a sure way to ruin any meal. Then something happened.
For the first time in my life I had fresh broccoli straight from a farmers market. It was purple rather than green, and the heads were smaller and looser. The broccoli was cooked simply in some butter with salt and pepper, and I admit that I only ate it to be a good dinner guest. Rather, I took the first bite out of politeness. Every bite after that was a moment of pure bliss. I had no idea broccoli could be so wonderfully rich and flavorful.
I don’t know how many of my childhood and adult years had been spent avoiding the cruciferous vegetable, but one thing was sure – the broccoli that I remembered was a poor imitation of this garden-fresh delight! The lesson? Fresh broccoli is awesome and also, don’t overcook your broccoli.
That said, this Easy Broccoli Quiche recipe is so, so good. I did alter the recipe just a little; I didn’t have a frozen pie crust on hand and didn’t want to go to the grocery store, so I decided to make a homemade savory pie crust with some dried herbs added to the dough. That definitely gave the dish a more rustic look.
One thing I will say is that you absolutely want to have something underneath your pie dish when you bake this. That mixture of eggs and cheese and half-and-half can bubble over and make quite the mess on the bottom of your oven.
Oh! And if you want to grow your own broccoli or get more broccoli recipes, take a look at the broccoli collection: Broccoli: America’s Favorite Vegetable.Print
Easy Broccoli Quiche
This Easy Broccoli Quiche is the perfect recipe anytime you have an abundance of garden-fresh broccoli on hand.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 9-inch frozen deep-dish pie crust in aluminum tin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place an oven rack in the middle position, place a cookie sheet on the oven rack, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take the pie crust out of the freezer and let it stand for 10 minutes. Prick the crust 10 times with a fork. Place the pie crust on the pre- heated cookie sheet in the oven, and bake for 9–11 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- While the pie crust bakes, heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and the edges begin to brown, 6–8 minutes. Add the onions, broccoli florets, and cheese to the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, half-and-half, salt, and pepper until combined. Pour the mixture over the pie crust.
- Bake the quiche on top of the cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes or until the quiche is set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Move the quiche to a wire rack and let cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Have you made this Easy Broccoli Quiche? How did you like it?