The Honeoye strawberry was a top seller for decades and is still a grower favorite. It’s an early midseason June-bearing cultivar. Honeoye produces high yields of medium-size, bright red berries with a firm texture that hold their color in canning. Best in full sun in zones 3 to 9.
- full sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.0 to 6.5
- 3 to 9
- 12-18 inches apart
- space rows 3-4 feet apart
- 1 inch per week
- Relatively adaptable but does best in loamy, light soil
- Works well in raised beds
- Grows to a maximum height of 8 to 10 inches and spread of 12 inches
- Has no resistance to soil-based diseases
- Is susceptible to black root rot
Have you ever grown Honeoye strawberries? Please tell us about your experiences with Honeoye.
They are wonderfully sweet, grow easily in my raised bed in central Ohio, and send out great runners! Love them.