In this month’s Food Gardening Magazine, you get everything you need to know about growing chamomile at home—this member of the daisy family looks, smells, and tastes wonderful! There are two main species of chamomile that gardeners raise; the species you choose will depend on whether you’re growing chamomile for tea, or you just want your chamomile for ground cover.
You get all the tips, techniques, and advice about how to start and maintain an awesome chamomile garden, including Roman chamomile plant care and how that differs from tending the German chamomile perennial plants. We’ve got you covered when it comes to growing chamomile!
Plus, you get specific advice about the best way to plant chamomile—including growing chamomile in pots, growing chamomile indoors, or just growing Roman chamomile for ground cover rather than tea.
You’ve probably heard that some plants grow better together than others; that’s true. We’ll guide you through the best companion plants for chamomile to improve the overall health of your garden. We’ll also give you tips on the ideal methods to harvest chamomile so you can keep yourself in chamomile tea all season long!
This gardening guide about chamomile is your #1 guide for being the best chamomile grower you can be! You should refer to this gardening guide whenever you have questions about your chamomile garden—from planning to planting and from maintaining and nurturing to harvesting and reaping the rewards in your kitchen and in your tea cup!
First, you get a complete Introduction to Chamomile—including some history and basics about chamomile. Did you know chamomile is featured briefly in Tale of Peter Rabbit? Find out how this versatile member of the daisy family has been used as a health and beauty aid for millennia!
Then, you get Feature Articles about Chamomile that include:
- Types of Chamomile Plants—learn which chamomile is considered the “true” chamomile, which chamomile is a better choice for ground cover, and which can keep you in blossoms for tea for weeks on end. And learn about species that can be toxic to dogs and dangerous to cats—and not necessarily the best choice for your home garden.
- Choosing to Grow from Seeds or Seedlings—find out how much effort you’ll need to put in to starting your chamomile plants from seeds, and decide whether you’re better off starting your chamomile patch from seedlings.
- Growing in Open Land, in Containers, or in Raised Beds—everything you need to know about how chamomile can thrive where you live. Find out which growing option is the best one for your gardening situation.
- Starting with the Right Soil for Your Chamomile Plants—healthy soil is the foundation of growing healthy plants; find out just what your chamomile needs to grow well. And check our list to see which plants consider chamomile to be the perfect “companion” plant—for weed control, plant health, even a boost in essential oil production!
- The Right Sunlight for Your Chamomile—hit the sweet spot for sunlight to keep your chamomile growing strong. Find out in this article how to get your chamomile that right amount of light—indoors and out.
- Should You Fertilize Your Chamomile Plants?—when, how, and how much to fertilize your chamomile will have a direct effect on the success of your harvest. Discover how less can be more.
- How—and When—to Water Your Chamomile Plants—discover the low-tech way to see if your chamomile is getting all the water it needs. Get the finer points on watering so you can avoid the trap of killing your plants with kindness. And discover the best times of day—and the best way—to water your chamomile!
- How to Spot, Treat, and Prevent Chamomile Diseases—many diseases affect chamomile when you start the plants from seed. Learn the key things to do to keep your chamomile plants disease-free—and what to do if disease strikes.
- What to Do About Pests that Can Harm Your Chamomile Plants—learn some companion planting tips that can help keep your chamomile plants pest-free, plus some simple strategies if you spot pests on your plants.
- Harvesting Your Chamomile—prepare to enjoy the satisfaction of your gardening when your chamomile flowers are ready to pick. Learn about the different ways of harvesting the two main species of chamomile, and the strategy and patience that comes with picking flowers for that perfect cup of tea.
- Drying Your Chamomile—your freshly picked flowers will have a limited shelf life. Learn about ages-old drying techniques, and other ways to preserve your chamomile blossoms beyond the harvest.
- Essential Tools and Equipment for Growing Chamomile—get the full list of essential gardening tools and equipment for growing and enjoying chamomile, from rakes to drying screens … and for almost all of your gardening needs.
Next, this premium gardening guide highlights the primary chamomile species that grow best in the U.S. Unlike many other plants, your choices are limited—but the potential for how you use the flowers is vast!
And all your chamomile-growing efforts are more satisfying when you have quick and easy-to-make recipes, to ensure your harvest is enjoyed by everyone you serve at your home. Food Gardening Network is all about providing delicious recipes for making yummy dishes. Try these recipes and enjoy your chamomile harvest:
- Chamomile Tea
- Chamomile Like-a-Latte
- Strawberries with Chamomile-Infused Cream
- Chamomile Fizz
- Vanilla Chamomile Marshmallows
- Chamomile Rice Pudding with Tea-Infused Golden Raisins
Next, you’ll learn all about the health benefits of chamomile with Nutrition Facts about Chamomile and Home Remedies & Health Benefits of Chamomile. Learn about all the wonderful and beneficial attributes of chamomile—including skin health, digestive health, and a way to a better night’s sleep.
And to be sure you have everything you need to grow your own chamomile, we’ve included a Resources about Chamomile section—so that you can easily find additional tools and information about chamomile.
Finally, our Chamomile Glossary section gives you the explanation of key chamomile-growing terms and concepts—so you’re up to date about important chamomile-growing ideas.
Check out this premium gardening guide now—The Gardener’s Guide to Growing Chamomile—All You Need to Know About Growing, Harvesting, Preparing, and Cooking With Chamomile—and you’ll really learn everything you need to know about chamomile!
Laura Logan, Norann Oleson, Victoria Arnold, and Samantha Pulcherz contributed to the creation of this gardening guide.