The first time I made a potato leek soup, I didn’t expect it to taste like much. There aren’t many ingredients, and aside from the leeks and onion, there isn’t much to speak of in terms of herbs or spices. I should have known better than to underestimate the rich flavors inherent in a simple, uncomplicated soup.
The caveat is that, like many dishes with minimal ingredients, the quality of those ingredients really makes a difference. As much as you can, go with garden-fresh vegetables; that’s the real secret to creating this Rustic Potato Leek soup. I tend to think of this as more of a fall or winter soup, which is why the recipe calls for frozen peas, but if you live in a warmer climate or you make this in the spring, definitely go with fresh peas. I’ve also made this without peas, and it’s perfectly splendid, though the peas do add a nice hint of sweetness.
It’s also a great way to use up an abundance of leeks. They’re a fun vegetable to grow, but honestly, it takes some work to make it through a harvest of leeks before they start turning.
One word about safety, here: use caution if you use a blender to purée the soup. It’s no fun to have boiling potato soup come flying out of your blender. Only fill your blender about half to two thirds, then cover the lid with a tea towel and hold it down before you turn the blender on.
Ideally, however, use an immersion blender. It’s much safer and it saves you quite a bit of work in transferring soup back and forth.
If you find the soup is too thick after you purée it, add about a half cup of milk or cream and blend that in. It will smooth things out and give you a nice, silky consistency.Print
Rustic Potato Leek Soup
This hearty, healthy Rustic Potato Leek soup is just the thing when you need a nourishing and flavorful bowl of soup after a long day at work.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 4–6 Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you are vegetarian)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, leeks, and potatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender and cooked.
- Add the frozen peas and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or hand mixer, blend the soup in the pot off of heat.
- Add the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.