Chicken soup has been around for as long as anyone can remember. For moms like me, chicken soup is a total godsend when anyone in the family gets a bug, or when I have a rotisserie chicken I want to turn into stock. It’s also pretty easy to make if you just want something quick to warm you up during cold nights. Chicken soup is so popular and well-loved that there’s a whole aisle in the grocery store practically dedicated to it. However, nothing beats a dish that’s cooked with fresh ingredients!
Because it’s a traditional dish, changing up a few things about the typical chicken soup recipe is one way you can exercise some culinary creativity. This recipe puts a spin on the usual chicken soup by leveling it up to a healthy slow cooker chicken noodle soup.
Just as its name suggests, the healthy slow cooker chicken noodle soup starts with a six-quart slow cooker where you combine the chicken broth with large, juicy chicken chunks, onions, celery, carrots, parsley, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. For added flavor, toss in some poultry seasoning along with the usual salt and pepper combo. Cooking all these on low for six hours will bring out all the wonderful flavors of traditional chicken soup and then some! It’s even better if your herbs, spices, and veggies are homegrown and plucked fresh for this recipe. Not only will these bring about a more intense flavor and a tempting aroma, but the nutrients will also be more intact. It’s as healthy as healthy could be!
After the six-hour wait, you can finally add in the egg noodles and adjust the seasoning as needed. Once it’s in a bowl, you’ll be treated to a serving of chicken noodle soup that’s not just bursting with flavor, but hearty colors as well. It’s enough to rouse anyone’s appetite even if they’re feeling under the weather.Print
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Put a spin on a beloved traditional soup with this healthy slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe. It’s going to take some time, but you can’t beat its intense flavors and delectable aroma!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Soups
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, or a combination, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces curly wide egg noodles
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the chicken, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, parsley, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Pout the broth over and stir, then cover and cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Add the egg noodles, cover, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more, until the noodles are tender. Remove the bay leaf, taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve, garnished with scallions.