Mucho Queso Pepper Dip
A LOT of cheese is okay in our books! This queso dip can have a kick depending on how much spice you like. Make it several times to get it to just the way you like!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Oaxaca or mozzarella cheese (see Notes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned jalapeños (see note)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin Pinch salt
- For serving: Chopped tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeño, banana, or bell peppers, seeds and membranes removed
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to broil. In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, bring the half-and-half to a very low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the Oaxaca and cheddar cheeses until smooth. Add the canned jalapeños, hot sauce, oregano, cumin, and salt, and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Place the pan under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, until the top just begins to brown and bubble. Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro, and sliced peppers and serve immediately with chips for dipping.
- The recipe can be spiced up to your taste by adding more jalapeños or hot sauce or adding a pinch of red pepper ﬂakes to the cheese mixture.
Oaxaca cheese and canned jalapeños are available in most supermarkets or in Mexican markets; if you can’t ﬁnd Oaxaca cheese, mozzarella makes a good substitute. Or you can substitute an equal amount of pepper Jack cheese and omit the canned jalapeños.