Pasta salad or chicken salad? Why not both! This Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad recipe is the perfect side dish to your summer meals. Chicken and macaroni are a match made in culinary heaven. You’ve got chicken macaroni soup, chicken macaroni casserole, and, of course, chicken macaroni salad!
Now you might think that tossing in some chicken and macaroni with mayo is all it takes to make this combination work, but that’s only part of what really gives this dish a fine flavor. For this Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad, you’ve got a handful more ingredients that can complement the stars of the show.
For instance, you’ve got some nicely chopped hard-boiled eggs for that added softness and creaminess that really brings out the taste of the mayo. Sour cream is always a welcome addition with its subtle tang. Dry mustard is more of a background player along with black pepper and Kosher salt. Celery, bell pepper, and sliced green onions are all about those earthy flavors that bring a hint of spice to the forefront. Plus, they add pops of color to the varying degrees of white from the chicken, eggs, mayo, and macaroni. As the old saying goes, you eat with your eyes, too!
More than just an eye-catching dish, this chicken macaroni salad is also packed with nutrition. It’s a quick solution for those moments that you find yourself with a craving for something light but flavorful. Serve this salad as a side to your meals, or wrap it up to-go if you’re on a trip! Either way, you’ll have something to enjoy whatever time of day it is. This salad is so easy to make that you might want to invite your kids to help out if you’re looking for something to get them started in the kitchen!Print
Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad
This Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad is a light and flavorful side that can satisfy your craving!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 pound elbow macaroni Kosher salt
- 4–6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and salt to taste and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the macaroni, eggs, celery, red bell pepper, green onions, mayonnaise, sour cream, chicken, dry mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
What do you think of this Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad? Have you put pasta and chicken together in a salad?