Fluffy Layered Coconut Cake
Coconut milk, coconut extract, and shredded coconut come together in this delightfully moist and fluffy cake. Easily customizable, you can tweak the decorations on this cake to match whatever event you’re celebrating!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 16 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 10 tablespoons plus
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the pans with parchment paper.
- For the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, coconut milk, vanilla, coconut extract, and almond extract.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture in 2 batches; beat.
- Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the parchment, and let cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese with the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar and coconut extract and beat until smooth and spreadable.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate, spread ½ cup frosting evenly over the cake, then sprinkle one-third of the coconut over the frosting. Repeat, then top with the third cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Carefully sprinkle and lightly press the remaining coconut over the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate for 2 hours before slicing and serving.