Six Vegetable Summer Casserole
Put your farmer’s market haul to good use with this delicious recipe! This casserole is jam-packed with flavor and makes a healthier side option for family picnics (plus, with the Italian breadcrumbs, you might even get your kids to dig in without a fuss!)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 6 large Swiss chard leaves and stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, plus extra for serving
- 2 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1∕3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Remove the Swiss chard stems from the leaves and chop the stems and leaves separately. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the leek, scallions, and chard leaves, and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add the chard stems, cover, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, until very soft.
- Meanwhile stir the broth, yogurt, ﬂour, and oregano together in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the chard mixture and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Layer half the yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and chard mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with a pinch of the salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining vegetables and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and melted butter in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the vegetables. Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the crumbs are browned. Sprinkle with oregano and serve.