Easy Retro Candy Buttons
These classic candy buttons will take you back in time! Plus with this recipe, you can make your dots taste the way you want with flavored extracts of your choosing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Open Air: 12 hours
- Total Time: 12 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 stripes 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cherry, or any flavored extract
- Food coloring
- In a large bowl, beat together the meringue powder, confectioners’ sugar, water, and vanilla (or ﬂavored extract) until the mixture holds stiff peaks and loses its sheen (about 10 minutes). Divide into separate containers, depending on how many colors you plan to use. Mix in the food coloring with rubber spatulas, starting with 3 drops and adding more until you reach your desired color. Keep covered until ready to use.
- Prepare piping bags with small round tips. Place each color of icing into its own bag. Pipe dots onto strips of paper. Let stand for 2 minutes, then carefully set aside to dry completely. Allow the dots to dry in the open air overnight. Cut the strips into sections and serve.