I know what you’re thinking. What in the world is a Banana Chip Pancake Casserole? It sounds like part breakfast, part brunch, and part dinner. But before you think we’ve gone rogue, I’d like to point out that you aren’t wrong. A casserole usually refers to a dish made with a protein like chicken or beef, and it’s often a dinner dish.
However, a casserole is really any recipe where the ingredients are baked all together in a large, deep dish that can go from the oven to the table. And busy cooks the world over love casseroles because clean up is a breeze, since there’s only one dish that gets used! Plus, all those ingredients hang out together and the flavors mingle and meld and make your mouth water while you wait.
Enough about casseroles, though. Let’s talk about this Banana Chip Pancake Casserole! It’s pretty much everything you could ask for in a delightfully sweet breakfast. You have your buttermilk pancakes, bananas, and chocolate chips, all of which are a classic combination. Then you mix up eggs, heavy cream, maple syrup, and a splash of vanilla extract to pull everything together, a little like a custard.
And when you serve them, a dusting of powdered sugar lends that element of awe and beauty. Plus, who doesn’t love a little powdered sugar on their pancakes? Of course, if you want to get truly indulgent, a dollop of whipped cream is a divine addition.
I like to serve this Banana Chip Pancake Casserole with a fresh cup of hot coffee, but it’s equally good with orange juice or even a glass of milk.Print
Banana Chip Pancake Casserole
A traditional stack of pancakes is a perfectly fine breakfast, but a banana chip pancake casserole is a fun way to make your pancakes go farther and serve more people!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Refrigeration Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 40 mini buttermilk pancakes, homemade or store-bought
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Whisk together the eggs, cream, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Layer half of the pancakes in the pan and scatter 1 sliced banana and half of the chocolate chips on top. Pour half of the egg mixture over the pancakes. Repeat with the remaining pancakes, banana, chocolate chips, and egg mixture. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Half an hour before you’re ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the dish with foil. Bake the casserole, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- If you prefer a basic buttermilk pancake casserole, remove the chocolate chips. I love how mini pancakes look; I think they are adorable! But of course you can use full-size pancakes and cut them in quarters before placing them in the baking dish.
Have you made this Banana Chip Pancake Casserole recipe? What do you like to add? Strawberries or blueberries or do you prefer it as is?