30-Minute Chicken à la King
A hearty and creamy dish, this retro recipe has veggies, chicken and toasted baguettes. The flavors are crowd-pleasing and a great way to get kids to eat veggies in a new way.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (see Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled cherry peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Baguette, cut into four pieces, for serving
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the ﬂour and stir well. While stirring, add the milk and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring frequently, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken, cherry peppers, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper and mix well. Cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over baguette.
- To cook the chicken, place 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cut into cubes.