Patriotic Firecracker Cake
Layers of red, white and blue cake make for the perfect 4th of July dessert that’s fun to make and enjoy. Drizzled with red and blue frosting, each piece is an explosion of color that’s sure to be a hit at the party.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 to 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- flour for the pan
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Egg whites as needed for the cake mix
- Red liquid food coloring
- Blue liquid food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
- 3–4 tablespoons milk or water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Blue and red liquid food coloring
- For the cake: Preheat the oven according to the cake mix package directions. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan; set aside.
- Prepare the white cake batter according to the package directions. Divide the batter equally into 3 parts. Add 6 drops red food coloring to one and 6 drops blue food coloring to another.
- Pour the blue cake batter into the Bundt pan. Carefully pour the white batter over the blue batter and pour the red batter over the white batter. Swirl with a knife.
- Bake according to the package directions or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Invert the pan onto the rack. Let the cake cool completely, 30 to 45 minutes.
- For the glaze: Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in a few drops of the blue food coloring until well blended. Drizzle over the cake, scattering back and forth. Let the cake stand at room temperature until the glaze is set. Slice and serve.