Longer days, more sunshine, and warm temperatures could only mean one thing – it’s time for summer foods! Salads, slaws, and dips are on the menu in the May/June 2020 issue of RecipeLion Magazine. Grilled chicken, fish tacos, and summer stews are showing up on our tables, and we’re spending some time in our backyards with some cool desserts.
And since most of these recipes take only 30 minutes or less, you’ll be free to enjoy some fresh air or play a game of hide and seek with your family. Clean-up is a breeze, too. I know how hard it is to keep things tidy, so these recipes are all created to use as few dishes as possible. After all, what good is a quick, delicious meal if you spend the next hour cleaning up the kitchen?
This issue of RecipeLion Magazine features 30 fresh, summer recipes that are sure to please everyone in your home, from the pickiest eater to the summer barbecue connoisseur. Here’s a look at some of what’s on our plates in this edition.
Take A Dip
Whether you’re camped out in the living room watching a summer movie or enjoying a game of hopscotch in the driveway, you need snacks.
- Three Cheese & Onion Dip: This one is easy to make, but also it is SOOOO yummy. White cheddar, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses hit all the right notes. And the sweet onions add just a touch of flavor without being spicy.
- Cheese Dip with Red Pepper Jelly: First of all, cheese, right? And the red pepper jelly is served separately, so everyone can enjoy this dip, no matter how spicy or not they like their cheese dip.
- Slow Cooker 7-Layer Dip: This is perfect when you want warm, taco-y flavors. The beauty of this recipe is that even though it cooks for about an hour and a half, it only takes 10 minutes to prepare. You can put it together, turn on your slow cooker, then run out for errands or a long walk, and when you get home, it’s ready and waiting.
Summer Salads & Slaws
Summer days call for some nice, cool salads and low-effort recipes are always welcome.
- Classic Chicken Salad: This dish is every bit as good on a weeknight as it is on a relaxing weekend.
- Greek yogurt Chicken Salad: I love this recipe because it’s easy to fancy up for an outdoor luncheon, but it also tastes fabulous.
Mexican cuisine is always a winner. There are so many rich flavors and perfect combinations of spicy, tangy, and sweet.
- Easy Enchilada Casserole: Rich, comforting, and on your table in about 40 minutes? Gotta love that! The ingredients are simple enough, but when you put them together, you get a bold, cozy meal. And if you want to kick it up a notch, throw in some diced jalapeños.
- Taco Night Chicken Tacos: Talk about easy and flavorful – this is it! Hot chicken, robust spices, and fresh Pico De Gallo in a corn tortilla is simply unbeatable. Especially when you top it with avocado, a bit of queso fresco, and a dash of lime.
Hot Off The Grill
When the sun is out and the grill is fired up, these recipes need to be in the mix.
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers: Truthfully, these are a hit anytime (and just wait until you try them on the grill)!
- Spicy Lime Grilled Tequila Chicken: This recipe comes with a warning – try it once and you’ll have it on your menu every week this summer.
- 30-Minute Hawaiian Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken: This recipe is just tropical enough to go with your piña colada. Cheers!
Looking for a quick finger food? You don’t have to be at the beach to savor these.
- Smoked Salmon Beach Bites: Hollowed-out cucumber slices make the cutest little bowls for horseradish-flavored cream cheese, capers, and smoked salmon. Garnish each slice with a fresh dill frond for a light appetizer that’s guaranteed to impress.
- Tequila Time Shrimp Kabobs: These might just be heaven on a stick! Tequila and lime add a refreshing twist to this summertime kabob recipe.
- Brazilian Summer Stew: For something a little different and a lot delicious, try this tropical stew. Serve it with some garlic rice and you are living large!
Hot days call for cool desserts. Then again, doesn’t every day call for dessert?
- Zesty Lemon Shortcake Icebox Cake: Lemony and sweet, this version of shortcake is as easy as can be with the help of ladyfingers and lemon curd.
- Fresh Strawberry Icebox Cake: There isn’t much better than fresh summer strawberries straight from the garden, and this decadent and delicious icebox cake shows off the wonderful fruit, along with rich chocolate and a creamy mascarpone filling.
- Caramel Fudge Ice Cream Sandwich Casserole: Hot fudge, luxurious caramel, and layers of ice cream sandwiches. Oh, my!
I hope you enjoy the latest issue of RecipeLion Magazine as much as we’ve enjoyed putting it together. We’re so happy to be here cooking with you and we’re looking forward to many more recipes, dishes, and meals to share.
Happy cooking—and happy eating!
Editor & Publisher
P.S. Please enjoy this issue of RecipeLion Magazine, and let me know what you think about it by commenting below with your feedback! Your input is valuable to us and can help us make improvements.