Sunflower Bread has been in my family for generations. I have fond memories of spending time with my grandmother in her garden, picking and admiring the beautiful sunflowers. I’d watch in wonder as their golden petals danced in the summer breeze and I’d marvel at their beauty. It was in her garden that I first discovered how to make Sunflower Bread from these wonderful flowers.
My grandmother’s sunflower garden was the source of not only the sunflowers we’d use to make this delectable treat, but also the love and knowledge she would share with me when I spent time there. She taught me how to collect the seeds that would be used as an ingredient in her Sunflower Bread recipe.
Sunflower seeds are the fruit of the sunflower, not seeds at all! And they can only be harvested once it has reached its peak bloom. Collecting them before their maturity will impede the quality of your harvest, so make sure to wait patiently for the sunflowers to fully ripen before gathering up the heads, drying them out, and collecting the seeds!
Making Sunflower Bread is a simple process that requires few ingredients more than typical bread. In this recipe for Sunflower Bread, you’ll add the essence of sunflower through sunflower oil and by mixing the sunflower seeds into the bread mixture, then sprinkling them on top. It’s a great treat for anyone with a nut allergy, too!Print
A delicious and nutritious bread made with sunflower seeds, this Sunflower Bread is a family tradition that you can make right from the garden!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- Sunflower, rye, and pumpkin seeds for topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend together water, honey, sugar, salt, yeast, sunflower oil, and egg.
- Blend together the flour and most of the sunflower seeds until a dough forms, slowly separating itself from the sides of the bowl.
- Gently deposit the dough into a greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and wait two hours or until the batter has doubled in size.
- Grease an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan or oval Dutch oven before adding the mixture. Allow it to rise again for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Give the loaf a light coating of oil and sprinkle some extra sunflower seeds for an additional crunch. Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before slicing or eating to enjoy it at its peak freshness!
If you make this Sunflower Bread recipe, let me know what you think!