Steak ‘n’ Veggie Tacos
While steak by itself isn’t unusual to be cooking out on the grill, turning it into a taco isn’t something you’d usually think up. Grilling all of your ingredients allows you to enjoy that charred, smoky taste you love from barbecued food in a handy package of a well-loved taco.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 ear sweet corn
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Unwrap the steak and let it come to room Rub with half of the oil and season with the cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss the bell peppers, onion, and zucchini in a bowl with the remaining oil, salt, and pepper. Place in a grill basket and set the corn aside.
- Preheat the grill to high heat (about 550 degrees F).
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place the packet on the top rack of the grill, if gas, or on top of the metal grate for charcoal. Place the ear of corn on the grill and cook, turning it occasionally to brown all sides, until lightly charred. Set aside. Place the grill basket on one side of the grill and cook, shaking the basket occasionally to toss the vegetables, until the vegetables are softened and slightly browned. Place the steak on the other side of the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak and vegetables from the heat and transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice against the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices. Carefully cut the kernels from the ear of corn and combine with the vegetables.
- Fill each warm tortilla with 3 or 4 slices of meat and a hearty pile of vegetables.
- Grill baskets are readily available in most kitchenware stores and online. For best results, look for a heavy-duty, nonstick version.