White Cheese Potatoes
No one needs to know that a casserole that looks this elegant was so easy to make! Layer the potatoes in the slow cooker while you prepare the sauce over on the stovetop. Then just cover and set the timer and wait for the slow cooker to take care of the rest. By the time it’s finished, the scent of cheesy, buttery potatoes will have wafted through your home, ensuring that your guests will be anxiously anticipating chowing down.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for serving
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus additional for serving
- 1 tablespoon slivered garlic
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus additional for serving
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded just before using
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Make three layers of potatoes in the slow cooker, with one-third of the salt, pepper, and garlic between each layer and on top.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until the mixture turns light yellow and large bubbles form. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, whisking continuously, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and nutmeg and gradually stir in the cheese until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes, spreading it evenly to cover all. Do not stir.
- Place three long pieces of paper towel over the top of the slow cooker and cover with the lid. Cook on High for 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and check the potatoes: the edges should be golden brown and the potatoes should be tender. If they’re not tender, cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the lid and paper towels and cook on High, uncovered, for 15 minutes more. Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm, with thyme, butter, salt, and pepper.