Heavenly Chocolate–Strawberry Mousse Cake
This is one of those fancy cakes you see on book covers and can’t believe that it’s real. And while it takes a bit of patience, all you need to do is follow it one step at a time, and you’ll be able to make yourself a strawberry dessert that looks just as incredible as the one on the cover.
- Prep Time: 15 minute
- Chill Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 7 hours
- Yield: Serves 8–10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 5 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate Mousse
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (5.9-ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- For the chocolate cake: Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on low speed. Add the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the boiling water and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, and let cool completely. Place on a serving plate.
- For the chocolate ganache: Heat the cream just until simmering. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, pour in the hot cream, and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir until smooth. Let cool, then spread on top of the cake.
- For the chocolate mousse filling: In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and pudding until thickened. Fold in the topping.
- Set the ring from a 9-inch springform pan around the cake, then spread 1/2 cup of the chocolate mousse on the cake. Stand the strawberries around the edge. Transfer the remaining mousse to a pastry bag and fill in all the gaps, then pipe the rest in the center and smooth the top. Refrigerate for 6 hours to set. Run a thin knife around the cake and release the ring from the springform pan.
- Scatter additional strawberries on top and garnish with extra chocolate. Slice and serve.