When I go to a potluck dinner or picnic, I don’t like to bring something boring. It can be simple to make, but I want it to be something delicious and memorable. And when I have the option, I want it to be something from my garden. I always grow carrots, so they often feature prominently in my picnic presentations.
One of the things I love about gardening—aside from the great taste of homegrown food—is the broad spectrum of colors that emerge as my plants grow. Come harvest time, I have a riot of color among all the green leaves and vines. It’s a real visual treat.
So I try to bring that esthetic from field to fork. I like to make this Colorful Carrot Slaw so I can showcase the carrots from my garden. Sometimes I add in carrots of different colors—say, Cosmic Red or White Satin—to give my colorful slaw an extra boost of color. It’s a great conversation starter, too. You wouldn’t believe how many people think that carrots only come in orange!
This Colorful Carrot Slaw is a breeze to make, and it’s as flexible as the vegetables you have on hand. If you want to have even more fun, mix in some white cabbage with the red, and you’ll wind up with a veritable rainbow in a bowl. Add a little protein on the side and you’ve got your main dish made!
Don’t wait for a potluck invitation to make this easy and delicious slaw. Celebrate all the colors and flavors you can lay your hands on to take your slaw from basic to beautiful!Print
Colorful Carrot Slaw
Take your coleslaw from boring to bold when you punch it up with colorful carrots and rich red cabbage! This Colorful Carrot Slaw is a perfect picnic companion.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves minced garlic (about a tablespoon, or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Combine the shredded vegetables in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to combine.
- Chill in the fridge for at least a half-hour.
- Want even more color? Try adding heirloom carrots in red, purple, yellow, or white. Top with your favorite slaw dressing, or try the tangy vinaigrette suggested here.
Have you tried making this Colorful Carrot Slaw? What’s your favorite way to make it? What kind of dressing do you use? Please tell us how it turned out for you.