Bring-Along Green Bean Casserole
This isn’t your regular ol’ green bean casserole. It’s an updated version that’s bursting with flavors like onion, mushrooms, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Make this your go-to casserole contribution for any event from church suppers to potluck dinners with friends and even holiday meals with the family.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10–12 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the beans and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat, add the onion, and sauté until golden. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, the bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat, add the mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the ﬂour and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add the milk and broth and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the green beans. Top with the onion mixture and bake for 25 minutes, until warm and golden brown. Serve.