Slow Cooker Breakfast Quiche
Quiche is one of those dishes that can be served hot or cold, for breakfast or dinner, or for family nights or as an appetizer. It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, a quiche is almost always appropriate, but no more so than for a peaceful Sunday brunch.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 (9-inch) prepared pie crusts, rolled out
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 10 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place an 18-inch piece of parchment paper on the counter. Place the two rolled-out pie crusts on the parchment paper, overlapping the dough in the center to create one large piece. Lightly press the dough together. Carefully pick up the dough with the parchment paper and place it into the slow cooker. Press the dough into the edges of the slow cooker, then up the sides by 2½ to 3 inches; crimp the dough to fit.
- In a small sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until slightly softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the shallots and garlic and mix.
- Sprinkle half the bacon, spinach, and Gruyère over the crust in the slow cooker.
- Pour half the egg mixture evenly over the ingredients in the slow cooker. Top with the rest of the bacon, spinach, and Gruyère, then the remaining egg mixture.
- Place a long piece of paper towel over the top of the slow cooker and cover with the lid.
- Cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until the quiche is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Carefully lift the edges of the parchment paper to remove the quiche.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives, slice, and serve.