Lemon Chicken Soup
It’s rare to find a meal that’s both comforting and light. Generally, you’ll either find something loaded with cheese or something with eight different kinds of hard-to-pronounce health foods. This dish finds that happy medium with wholesome veggies mixed into a heartwarming chicken soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon wheels, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and cook until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Stir in the orzo. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the orzo is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with lemon wheels and rosemary, and serve immediately.