Southern Biscuits ‘n’ Gravy Casserole
This diner classic is so simple to make at home. We use a shortcut with canned biscuits, but if you’d rather make biscuits from scratch, feel free! Serve this dish piping hot on a chilly spring day to really hit the spot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6–8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 (16.3-ounce) can flaky biscuits
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the biscuits into quarters and place half of the biscuits in the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the biscuits are baking, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until fully cooked. Remove and drain. Add the butter to the empty skillet and melt over low heat. Then whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne, bring to a low boil, and cook until thick. Return the sausage to the skillet with the gravy and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the biscuits and layer the remaining biscuits on top. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top of the casserole is golden brown. Serve.