Make-Your-Own Fortune Cookies
Ever wanted to make a custom fortune cookie? This recipe is perfect for impressing friends and family. You can write out fortunes specific to the individual and watch their eyes widen in surprise when they read it aloud!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Makes 18–20 cookies 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Fortune cookie strips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone pad or parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed until the mixture is frothy. Add the melted butter and mix until combined. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and water and mix until combined. Beat in the flour until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the batter onto the baking sheet in 3 places, and spread each into a 3-inch circle. (Only bake 3 cookies at a time. They set up very quickly, and you need time to form the fortune cookies.) Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. (Do not overbake, or they will be too brittle to form.)
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and loosen each cookie from the baking sheet by running a small spatula underneath. Place the fortune in the center of each cookie and fold over into a semicircle.
- Quickly place 1 cookie over the edge of a mug and press down to shape into a fortune cookie shape, pressing the edges together and bending in the middle. Place the cookie in the cup of a muffin tin to help hold the shape until it has cooled and the shape has set. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- You can find fortune cookie text on the internet, or you can make your own.