One of the things I enjoy about having my very own home garden is being able to harvest some fresh vegetables on the fly. Not only does this save me a lot of grocery shopping time, but homegrown vegetables are, hands-down, infinitely more delicious and nutritious than commercially sold vegetables. That’s especially true in a dish like this Lemon Sage Pasta Salad.
If I’ve got a good veggie harvest, and I’m craving something light and easy, this recipe for pasta salad is my go-to dish. I usually have some type of pasta in my pantry, but for this recipe I prefer bowtie pasta. They don’t just look cute; the chewy texture of bowtie pasta mixes a lot better with the carrots, broccoli, onions, sage, and lemons.
Homegrown veggies can seem a lot sweeter because they’re fresh, but the citrusy combo of sage and lemons balances the sweetness out. Parmesan cheese gives this dish an added salty touch, while the butter and olive oil brightens up the colorful ensemble.
What can really make this salad appetizing is the enticing aroma of garden sage. It draws you in without being overpowering. Before you know it, you’ve finished your plateful of Lemon Sage Pasta Salad and are ready for seconds!
What makes this recipe even more tempting is the fact that it won’t even take half an hour to complete. If you happen to have an impromptu lunch with friends or surprise weeknight dinner visitors, preparing some Lemon Sage Pasta Salad will definitely get you out of a sticky situation. Plus, your guests are going to appreciate your dish even more once they taste the freshness of your homegrown veggies!Print
Lemon Sage Pasta Salad
Fresh and light, indulge in the flavors of summer with a plateful of Lemon Sage Pasta Salad!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop onions, sage, and broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Julienne the carrots. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and broccoli and cook until slightly soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sage and onions and cook, stirring, until lightly brown, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and mix with the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Mix in vegetables and then toss with the lemon-butter mixture. Mix in Parmesan and serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and satisfying on a summer day. Please tell us how it turned out for you.