Family-Style Chicken Cordon Bleu
Anything that has cheese oozing out of it is a win, right? Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of those dishes that’s fancy enough to serve for guests but simple enough to serve for the family any night of the week. Pair it a side of roasted broccoli or steamed green beans to complete the meal!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 4 (4-ounce) chicken cutlets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and top each cutlet with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. Fold in half and secure with a toothpick.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon ﬂour and place the remaining ﬂour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge both sides of the chicken in the ﬂour.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add 2 cutlets to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil and cook the remaining 2 cutlets. Transfer to the dish with the other cutlets.
- Meanwhile, combine the broth, wine, lemon juice, mustard, and reserved 1 teaspoon ﬂour in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the broth-wine mixture into the empty pan and cook over medium heat, whisking to loosen any bits that are stuck to the skillet. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat until the cheese has melted. Spoon some sauce over each piece of chicken and serve.