The start of a new calendar year can mean something different for everyone. For some, it’s a time for a sleepy recovery after an exhausting holiday season. You hunker down on your couch under your coziest blanket while you enjoy a steaming bowl of chili and binge-watch your latest TV obsession.
For others, it’s a time of heartache and jubilation as you cheer on your home football team through the playoffs, accompanied by whatever snack is within reach. Others still get right back into the balancing act of everyday life from taking the kids to band practice to staying up to finish that project for work to cleaning, cooking, and everything in between.
And others see the new year as a time for a fresh start, a time to cut out the microwave meals and begin introducing seasonal produce and freshly cooked dinners into their routine. It’s in the spirit of the new that we’re excited to launch our inaugural issue of RecipeLion Magazine, where we’ll explore ideas for all types of budding chefs, and we hope you’ll discover the picture-perfect recipe to fit your lifestyle.
Here’s what you can look forward to in this issue.
Game Day Grub
Game day calls for quick, tasty snacks that you can grab without taking your eyes off the big play. Here are some of the other recipes you’ll find in this section:
- DIY Sourdough Pretzels: Homemade pretzels are way easier than they look. Plus, there’s nothing like the taste of a fresh, handmade pretzel right out of the oven!
- Parmesan Chicken Wings: This recipe is a classic for good reason! With freshly chopped garlic and parsley, hand-squeezed lemon juice, and grated Parmesan cheese, these fan favorites are sure to be on your menu.
- New England Crab Puffs: Here’s another fan favorite that you don’t want to miss out on. Whether your favorite team is on the east coast or in the middle of the country, you’ll want these on your table when the game’s on your tv.
Comfort Food Classics (Turned Into Soup)
What can we say? Some game days are downright chilly! And nothing beats a cold breeze like a hot bowl of soup. What’s a fan to do when the game is heading to overtime and the temperature outside is dropping? How about some of these bowls?
- 30-Minute Nacho Soup: This quick twist on a classic only takes about 10 minutes to prep, and you most likely have many of these ingredients in your cupboard already.
- Slow-Cooker Enchilada Chili: Slow cooker recipes are perfect for the cold days of winter. All day long, you’re surrounded by the comforting anticipation of a warm, cozy dinner. That’s exactly what you get with this chicken enchilada soup. When you mix the spices with the beans, corn, peppers, onion, and chicken, you get a hearty, flavorful dish that’ll warm you from your head to your toes.
Recipes for a Healthier 2019
The recipes in this section are healthy and wholesome without sacrificing an ounce of flavor.
- Glazed Cranberry Scones: Scones are one of those guilty-pleasure sweets that always looks so tempting as you wait in line at the coffeehouse. For such a small treat, they can be deceptively full of sugar and calories. This homemade version works to cut back on a lot of that by replacing sugar with maple syrup and using whole wheat flour instead of starchy white flour.
- Baked Cauliflower Tots: A healthier alternative to the potato version, these homemade cauliflower tots are so simple to prepare! Just cut into bite-sized florets, dip them in the eggs and then panko, and pop them in the oven.
- Lemon-Honey Chicken: If you’re looking to add a cheerful burst of flavor to any dish, then lemon juice is the way to go. It’s light and refreshing, so you aren’t getting bogged down by ingredients that’ll put you to sleep by 7 p.m. Plus, the addition of honey adds a touch of sweetness without unhealthy sugars.
No-Fuss 30-Minute Meals
I love spending time in the kitchen making my favorite recipes. But some days I just want something quick and easy. These recipes fit that bill perfectly.
- Lemon Baked Cod: Cod is a New England classic. It has a much milder flavor than other types of fish, which makes it more amenable to serving to a wider group of people. This recipe includes that magical ingredient—Greek yogurt—to help slim down this recipe for a guilt-free dinner.
- Soy Sauce Burgers with Coleslaw: These Asian-inspired burgers are such a fun way to mix up burger night. This dish is special for a couple of reasons. Not only do the mix of sauces in the burger patty add a rich, spicy flavoring, but the coleslaw also helps balance everything out and cool the patty down, creating the perfect blend of flavors.
- Pesto and Walnut Tortellini: Next time everyone in your house wants to eat as soon as possible, pull this recipe out. You’ll have a tasty meal on the table in 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy the latest issue of RecipeLion Magazine as much as we’ve enjoyed putting it together. We’re so happy to be here cooking with you and we’re looking forward to many more recipes, dishes, and meals to share.
Happy cooking—and happy eating!
Editor & Publisher
P.S. Please enjoy this issue of RecipeLion Magazine, and let me know what you think about it by commenting below with your feedback! Your input is valuable to us and can help us make improvements.