Cheesy Macaroni Soup
The marriage of macaroni and cheese with soup is one for the ages. While it’s great for dinner, it works even better as your kid’s lunch. Just pack some in a thermos to keep warm and send them on their way.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (see Note)
- 8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the ﬂour and whisk until combined. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the ﬂour.
- Gradually add in the half-and-half and broth, whisking until combined.
- Add the cheddar cheese soup, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar and Gouda cheeses until melted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, macaroni, and half the bacon. Stir to combine and cook until the chicken is heated through.
- If the soup is too thick, add additional broth or half-and-half to thin it to the desired consistency.
- Ladle into bowls, top with the remaining bacon, and serve.
- To cook the chicken, place 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Shred.