Looking at my four-year-old daughter, I can’t help but miss being a kid. When the cold becomes too much, all you need to do is roll yourself into a human burrito. You don’t even need to get out of your pajamas! Life is so simple at that age when all it takes to be cozy during the winter is a huge blanket and a bit of imagination.
While I may not have a time machine (and slathering anti-aging cream doesn’t actually make you any younger), what I make instead is this recipe for ultra cozy potato soup! If you have a home garden, the good news is that potatoes can store for several months and they can still grow in colder climates if they’re planted indoors or heated in a greenhouse. It doesn’t take much for these plants to get through the winter — as long as they receive their daily dose of sunlight and are safeguarded from frost, you’ll have a handful of homegrown potatoes springing out of your indoor garden.
For this ultra cozy potato soup, you can choose from a variety of potatoes like Yukon Gold potatoes, red potatoes, or any of the waxy potato types. They’re great for soups because of their thin skin and low starch content. This means they get to keep their shape and texture even when used in soups. What you get are tender potato squares that don’t easily break apart. Adding in some carrots, vegetable broth, and whole milk makes this ultra cozy potato soup subtly sweet and extra creamy — perfect for keeping warm while relaxing at home! Of course, it tastes even better if you share a warm bowl with your family. I know I would!Print
Ultra Cozy Potato Soup
Getting cozy during winter doesn’t have to be complicated. Sometimes, all it takes is a bowlful of this creamy, subtly sweet, ultra cozy potato soup!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Soups
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into large dice
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until the onion is translucent and the celery begins to soften.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the ﬂour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk and parsley. Cook until the soup begins to bubble again. Remove from the heat.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.