Cheesy Lasagna Soup
Shhh! Don’t let Garfield know about this one! If you’ve ever thrown your hands up in frustration because you either can’t get the noodles straight in the casserole dish or you messed up the order of the layers, then this lasagna soup might be your solution. By throwing everything into the same pot, you get the flavor you love without all the hassle.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-5 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the pot and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot. Add the onions and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning, red pepper ﬂakes, sugar, parsley, salt, black pepper, and cooked sausage.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta cooking water, and set aside.
- Add the noodles and reserved pasta water to the soup.
- In a small bowl, combine the mozzarella, Parmesan, and ricotta cheeses.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, dollop with the cheese mixture, garnish with some fresh basil, and serve.