Buffalo Wings with Homemade Dipping Sauce
Wing nights are some of the best nights around whether you’re mixing and mingling among friends and family or gathered around the TV enjoying a sports game or action movie. The homemade ranch dipping sauce is so much creamier than anything you’d get from a bottle that we don’t expect you’ll go back to store-bought anytime soon!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3–4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 bottle of hot pepper sauce, 1/2 cup (1 stick) of the butter, the Worcestershire sauce, honey, brown sugar, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken wings in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the wings.
- Cook the wings on High for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to Low and cook for 2 hours more.
- Just before the wings are done, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining bottle of hot pepper sauce and 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and simmer over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the wings on the baking sheets and cook for 20 minutes, until crispy.
- For the ranch dipping sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, garlic, dill, chives, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Chill until ready to use.
- Brush the wings with the remaining sauce and serve with the ranch dipping sauce.