Red Velvet Cake Thumbprints
Red velvet cake and thumbprint cookies are both staples in southern homes, and this cookie recipe combines the best of both worlds. The bright red color is a standout in any dessert spread. Try dyeing half the batch blue for a patriotic combination!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2–2 tablespoons red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the ﬂour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and mix until combined. Add the red food coloring and mix well.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Gently press the center of each cookie with your thumb or the back of a measuring spoon to create a depression.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese ﬁlling: In a small bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese until light and ﬂuffy. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe or scoop the cream cheese ﬁlling into the indentation in each cookie.