Sugar Cube is considered to be the most disease-free melon on the market. This is a small, fragrant, delicious [American] cantaloupe that produces melons from 2 to 4 pounds. It also boasts a long shelf life if you need to store some of your harvest. One melon can make a perfect breakfast for two, or the start of a great fruit salad. Sow seeds indoors three to four weeks before the last frost, or directly in warm soil after all danger of frost has passed. Hill the soil to make a 12-inch diameter mound.
- full sun (six to eight hours)
- 5.5 to 7.0
- 4 to 10
- thin to three or four seedlings in a 12-inch mound
- space mounds 4 to 6 feet apart all around
- 1 to 2 inches per week
- prefers well-drained, sandy loam soil with lots of direct sunlight
- once vines are established, do not move them
- black plastic mulch helps retain soil heat and deters weeds
Have you ever grown a Sugar Cube melon plant? Please tell us about your experiences with Sugar Cube cantaloupe.